22.1.08

Köln for a day

This past weekend, I went to Köln (Keulen/Cologne) for a day. Took in the imm (internationale möbelmesse/international furnishings show), as well as the 'Dom' (cathedral), and wondered the streets for a bit and ate some German food.


-nice entrance

First section I took in was the young design talents section, possibly the most interesting.


-floating minimalist fires in a stainless steel base - apparently all the rage


-crazy spaghetti-ish lights


-Eames aluminium group - ok, the young design talent aren't responsible for the Eames aluminum group, I just wanted to take a picture as I'm appreciating Eames design more and more.


-"Napshell" - apparently sleeping pods are becoming in too


-vinyl wall decals, nature themed - apparently still in, but I have read that all the nature (deer, birds, etc) patterns are gonna be out this year


-Canada booth - WTF?


-"UtiliTILE hallway" - very nice, very tight, great execution, nice use of materials (yes, that's my critique)


-"United We Stand" - chairs, I'm not so sure how much I'm a fan of the design, but I really like the pic.


-"PACMAN" - to me, this looks like a nice chair to seclude yourself from the world in.


-chaise skateboard? - this looked pretty cool, I think it was all plastic though.


-projection on water - yeah, if you look closely at the upper middle of the picture, you'll notice some text being projected on a small stream of water.


-Fiber optic lamp - ooooh, pretty.




-Closet doors with print - those patterns are still pretty big it seems, although this pic was from the more mainstream furniture section, so maybe if it's this mainstream, it's on its way out.


-Felt and zipper room divider - I thought this just seemed pretty clever.




-Minimalist Kitchen - in the foreground is the 'faucet' above the sink, and in the background, you can see how the wall cabinets open.


-big grey bed - big boxy forms are compensated with a plush upholstery.


-Coffee table with integrated fruit bowl? - nice woodwork.


-More minimalist fire - behind glass and in a stainless steel base.


-Aluminium Coatrack - reminds me of Eames Aluminium group. Nice form.


-the Dom from afar - it doesn't look THAT big does it?


-maybe it is that big



















1 comment:

daniellegrace said...

pretttty! nice work, journalist will. its overwhelming though, after a while, eh? all of the design, everywhere! your eyes just want to see some black.