1.4.09

Brakes are for _______

(you fill in the blank)

After much much waiting, I've finally finished with my bike project. I completely dismantled what was already a singlespeed. Grinded off the needless bits on the frame, and sent it away for a sandblasing, priming, and powdercoat. Also got a new wheelset. All in all I'm happy with the result. Although I think the powdercoat added a noticable amount of weight to the bike.

I'll probably still upgrade some components along the way, but the major job is done.

And yesterday, I rode home from work, the full roughly 35km, without brakes! That takes some getting used to.
(buying a helmet is on my to do list, especially after my cycle/car collision in January where I lucked out by having my rear wheel lock up and fish tailing so I didn't hit T-bone the car completely, but body checked it instead).



-Frame in the before/during stage (for good measure) - you can see where I grinded away the cable routing on the top tube



-chrome fork - this was apparently a big point of contention as to weather or not you can powdercoat chromed parts



-my new(ish) fixie - I like the fenders on this, needed with a white bike, and these fenders are fairly subtle



-Crazy Canadian - this is the sticker one of my bosses at work made up on the sticker machine, it works.

4 comments:

topher said...

now i want to do something similar to my singlespeed mountain bike. although i kind of like having it look a little crapped off so it doesn't look too nice for thieves.

will.i.am said...

It's called getting a big thick chain lock.

Pedro said...

Nice style. Fenders are sweet. Is the bike white or is the sun making it look off-white?
Did it cost you a lot to powder coat?

will.i.am said...

Fenders are sweet (in a land where it rains a lot), and it is white, it's just the lighting that makes it look off white.

Powder coating, not cheap (but not too bad I think), but I think I'll get a deal if I get another frame to powdercoat.