30.3.12

MA APD - Term 2, Part 2: Parametric Modelling



Part 2 of the second term, was the course in product analysis and parametric modelling.

For the product analysis and parametric modelling, we were given a (cheap) electric screwdriver, and tasked with coming up with a new design for it, with the branding of our choosing.


Cordless Electric Screwdriver - External


Cordless Electric Screwdriver - Internals


I thought I'd challenge myself and go for an Ikea version, given they do sell some budget, Ikea branded tools, and it fits in the theme of their products and product line, but could maybe be branded better.


Quick Sketch, Branding reference, and Design Direction - trying to determine the styling of an Ikea product proved to be difficult enough to do


Screwdriver 3D Design - Modelled in Solidworks, rendered in Keyshot


Screwdriver parts - (we get funds from the school to print the parts for this project)


Screwdriver Internals - I made a sort of rib-cage support structure to assemble the parts and hold them in place inside the housing


Ikea Family 'Fixa' Screwdriver - Top view of model



Ikea Family 'Fixa' Screwdriver - Front 3/4 view of model




Ikea Family 'Fixa' Screwdriver - Rear 3/4 view of model (my idea was to have it charge in the toolbox casing, just like a cordless home phone charges with 2 contact points in it's base docking station)

3 comments:

Hans Eich said...

Most of your posts are generally over the top of my head. This one I find very interesting. What I can't figure out at all, how the internals with the rib cage line up inside the shell. The axle of the motor (with the attqched bit on the finished product) doesn't seem to lign up with how I think everything is aligned in the shell. Is your final product a working model? If so, can you show the internals of it?

Cheers, Hans

will.i.am said...

Hi Hans,
The internals of the rib-cage line up along the main part of the handle. I had another gear connected near the head of the screw-driver to make the drive connection. Direct-drive would of course be better, and I've considered re-designing this project, but it was largely a design exercise - with the main focus on parametric modelling and creating a (somewhat) functional prototype.
I may have the CAD somewhere to do a cross section of the internals, but that's not that high on my priority list right now.

Advance Tech Services (P) Ltd. said...

Awesome! I love this fruitful content. Thanks for your time
electric screwdriver