18.11.07

End of week 1

Wow, so this was my first week doing ID work in the Netherlands. I love my job (so far), and haven't had any indications that I'm doing a bad job. My boss has only seemed happy with the results I've produced so far, and has been friendly and helpful with any questions.

Work is friendly, relaxed, and although professional, seems to have a somewhat just the right amount of laid-back-ed-ness feel to it. Lunches are provided at work, and involves the lunch table being filled with bread and all the toppings. The served beverage is either Milk, or Karnemelk (buttermilk). It ends up being a nice social time at work, which also happens in the morning from 830-9, when it's "coffeetime" in the lunchroom, available is coffee, tea, and of course the daily selection of dutch cookies.
(note to self, try to take some shots of this happening as well as other shots from around work without looking like a tourist, or like I'm trying to steal intellectual property)

-Treinstation, Geldermalsen
(this is the station that I walk to from work to go home, nice old building :)
I've now found the quickest (and possibly most ghetto) walking route from the station to work which is now under 10 minutes. It involved using a wooden shipping pallette (I think), constructed bridge to get over a water filled ditch. No wet shoes yet, hopefully she holds up for the full 3 months.

-Kerk, Boxtel
I walked home from the train station last night in Boxtel, enjoyed the walk, fresh brisk air, and some tunes as I went. I've noticed this big church a number of times already by bike, and really think up-lighting really does do a hell of a lot and isn't used well nearly enough. The thought of lighting makes me think, another place where I thought it was always nice was back at Carleton walking towards athletics, just before going under the catwalk, there was a planter with a small tree in it that had some uplit spots under it. This made for a really nice effect in the winter, for anyone else who appreciated the way it looked.

-I think I'll refer to this as: drunken view of 'centrum' in Boxtel.
Although I wasn't drunk (at said time, or yet for that matter), I have already taken a number of pictures and am still figuring out all the settings and features of the camera. Needless to say, with my shaky hands, I've produced a quantity of such calibre

2 comments:

daniellegrace said...

i don't want to sound like a product placement, but:

http://www.joby.com/products/gorillapod/original/

amazing!! use it with the 2-second timer, so that by the time your shutter goes, its stopped shaking from your hand. brilliant...

topher said...

if you think they like you now, wait 'til you blow their minds with the karnemelk + sinaasappel combo.