6.12.07

Sinterklaas

Right, so yesterday (the 5th) was Sinterklaas.
The Dutch equivalent to the presents portion of Christmas (as here Christmas is just a religious holiday (so I believe at least). It's my first time ever experiencing Sinterklaas, and already I'm too old/don't believe in the myth. I think the beard is to white to be real. Seriously.

-Pomp and circumstance? ok, not quite, but I guess this guy gets quite the entrance. The local marching band giving an intro to the welcoming of Sinterklaas to the local town. (Notice local town in Background, band in foreground, children in fore fore ground).


-There's Waldo (Sinterklaas), traditionally he's supposed to arrive on a white horse, on a boat (from Spain), (or to the least just the horse), but apparently where my family comes from, he never likes to make a normal entrance. This is kinda close I suppose, in a small horse drawn wagon, (black and white horse). I was told that he came in a amphibious car before, as well as a helicopter, a convertible, on a moped (I think).
[right, a note, he always comes before the 6th, as this photo has a time stamp of Nov 24th on it].


-Family influence - So, it's my uncle holding the horse on the reins, in the event that it gets spooked, and his girlfriend/wife/partner holding the reins. Their horse and wagon, and happy to give the tired old guy a ride. The horse is looking to become famous I think, as it got to be used in a movie shot in the Efteling theme park. Looked interesting from some of the behind the scenes pictures they showed me.
Hey look at that, a Bugaboo stroller, surprise! (Yes, I am a design geek)


-Sinterklaas made a quick stop in at work too? Yesterday morning at work, everyone had a chocolate letter V on their desk - the traditional gift associated with Sinterklaas, although the letter is usually your first name initial, here, I'm guessing the company name is the letter of choice.

2 comments:

topher said...

Sinterklaas arrives from Spain on a boat? Something totally got lost in translation when he got Americanised.

will.i.am said...

It's true. Maybe Coca-Cola is anti spain, and anti boats, since I think Coca-Cola pretty much bought the rights to Santa Clause, and he's an employee of the Coca-Cola Corporation.